New Port Richey, Florida – On September 3, 2015, the Florida Recreation and Park Association held its Annual Awards Banquet in Orlando where it presented John Fussell, Parks Superintendent, and Joy Phillips, volunteer, with State Awards to recognize them for their years of service and dedication to the City of New Port Richey.
Mr. Fussell was presented with the 2105 Parks Professional Award. This award is presented annually to one Parks and Recreation Department staff member based on the following criteria:
- Must have been employed more than five years, in a full-time position in the parks, natural resources management or environmental protection profession.
- Performed special and/or unusual service to the field of parks and recreation.
- Maintained a professional image in their community, both on and off the job.
The award application described Mr. Fussell as an employee that, “Exemplifies the mission of the department and he works well with the public. Local groups seek out his assistance with their projects for the betterment of the City of New Port Richey.”
Ms. Phillips was presented with the 2015 Voluntary Service Award. This award is presented annually to one Parks and Recreation Department volunteer based on the following criteria:
- An individual who’s contribution of time and effort to the parks, recreation and leisure services movement for a minimum of three years.
- Advocacy activity on behalf of parks, recreation and leisure services, through involvement in other organizations or endeavors outside the parks, recreation and leisure services field.
- Advocacy activity on behalf of parks, recreation or leisure services, through involvement in local or state legislative activity resulting in the heightened awareness of the benefits of parks, recreation and leisure services.
The award application described Ms. Phillips as a “Reliable, professional, competent, creative, generous and energetic volunteer. She combines great volunteerism with strong advocacy for the Parks and Recreation movement as well as advocacy and promotion of the department.”
Mr. Fussell and Ms. Phillips will receive special recognition by City Council at its regular meeting on October 6, 2015 at 7:00p.m. in City Hall, 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey. The public is invited to attend.